Hi Guys,
Chris here to talk a little about post-workout nutrition. Immediately after a grueling weight lifting session, you have a brief window of time where your body actually accelerates its normal growth and repair cycle. According to nutrition experts this period peaks within the first 30 minutes and tapers off over the course of the next 30 minutes. In other words, you have under an hour to get some good quality protein and carbs in your system when it can be utilized most efficiently to help you build quality lean muscle.
OK so I'll just pack a sandwich in my gym bag and eat it on the way home right? Not so fast. Whole foods like Tuna, hard boiled eggs and turkey, are great sources of lean protein but they take time to digest. By the time your digestive system has had a chance to work its way through your meal, and break it down into small enough bio available particles to be useful to your muscles, this magical window of opportunity will be over.
The trick is to consume a source of protein that will digest quickly and provide your body with the building blocks of new muscle growth. Enter Whey protein powder. A good shake with Whey protein will digest quickly, is easy to prepare and to consume. A side benefit is that it tastes great. For some carbs to restore depleted muscle glycogen, you can add fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, mangoes, or bananas to the mix. I also like to mix it up a bit and use almond milk or rice milk instead of water to add a little additional flavor and thickness to the smoothie. Sometimes I just eat an apple with the protein shake to make up for the carbs. Although the Apple is technically a whole food, since it is a simple sugar it is easily digestible and becomes available relatively quickly to the body for post workout recuperation.
Here's how I do it:
I have about 10 shaker bottles with lids. When I leave for the gym I put 3 scoops of Whey protein powder (about 51 grams of protein) in one shaker bottle and seal the lid. I also toss an Apple and a bottle of water into my gym bag. After my workout when I get back to my car, I pull the shaker bottle out of my gym bag, pour the remaining water from my bottle into the shaker, shake it up and enjoy it along with the apple on my way home. Or, sometimes when I'm pressed for time I will simply wait until I get home to make a smoothie in the blender.
http://ballisticbodyfitnessblog.com/
The Fastest Way to Lose Weight - Personal Trainer Burbank - Visit our
site for expert training on how to lose 8-15 pounds in 10 days with a
free working persons detox and weight loss jump start plan.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment